Interior Design Ideas for Children’s Bedroom
A bedroom meant for children, especially when they are small, should not be looked at just as another space with an interior that needs to complement that of the rest of the house. The approach to children’s bedroom interior design has evolved over the years, with parents and designers understanding the multifunctionality and versatility that such a room needs. Given that kids will spend a lot of their time in this space if they have their own room, all aspects of their development and their personality, likes and dislikes, should be considered while designing the bedroom. It should be a space for studying, playing and where they can be comfortable. Storage is also a very important aspect of planning a children’s bedroom.
Benefits of a Children’s Bedroom
- An important advantage of having a bedroom for children is that they learn to be independent faster. It also provides a sense of comfort, security and belonging when they have their own room.
- An interior of children’s bedroom can be geared towards the growth of the child by creating an interesting design that can aid in their development. For example, if the child is small, then colourful wallpapers centred on a theme that can familiarise them with the topic and help develop cognitive skills is a good interior design idea for children’s bedroom.
- A separate bedroom for children also means more storage for their things, from toys and clothes to books, stationery and several other items important for a growing child, so storage space is an important advantage when planning an interior for children’s bedroom.
- It helps children, especially older kids, enjoy and understand the importance of privacy and also provides a space where they can study or read without being disturbed.
- Having their own bedroom will also likely inculcate the habit of looking after their space and their things, fostering a sense of ownership and responsibility.
Interior Design Ideas for Children’s Bedroom
The kind of interior design that should be done for a children’s bedroom depends on a variety of factors. Apart from the parents’ tastes and preferences, those of the children should also be taken into account. The most important thing that will influence the children’s bedroom interior design is age. In older kids, it would depend on the number of kids sharing the room and their likes and dislikes and finding common ground. For some homeowners, it might also be a good interior design idea for children’s bedroom to find a common thread that ties the children’s bedroom interior to the overall aesthetic of the house. But care should be taken that it does not compromise on the preferences of the children themselves. Other more practical factors should be kept in mind as well.
1. Interior Design Ideas Based on Space
As with other rooms of the house, the amount of space available plays a significant role in planning the interior of a children’s bedroom as well. If there is a comfortable amount of space, then it is possible to add more elements, including a bigger study desk and wardrobe and an interesting bed. In case two kids are sharing a room, there would be room to have twin beds instead of bunks, which is also a good option. If, on the other hand, space is less, then bunk beds (when two or more kids are sharing a room) is a more practical option, as is multifunctional furniture (like fold-in desks). In case space is an issue when it comes to decoration, the modern children’s bedroom ceiling is a great way to not just make the room look interesting but engage the child as well. For example, a modern children’s bedroom ceiling design idea, especially over the bed, could be to have it decorated to mimic the night sky, with stars and a moon, or even outer space.
2. Interior Design Ideas Based on Budget
Next to space, the budget and how much is allocated to the purpose of the children’s bedroom interior design is equally important. If the budget is limited, there is still a lot that can be done to enhance the children’s bedroom; painting the walls is the easiest way and it is relatively cost-effective. With the use of stencils, colouring a wall in a bright shade is a great way to decorate a kids’ room. Another option would be to use interesting and fun wall decals, adding in colour through greenery or adding a rug or multiple throw pillows. Multifunctional furniture is also budget-friendly—beds with storage, wall shelving units for books and toys, among other things.
3. Based on Materials
When it comes to children’s rooms, the materials to decorate the space need to be carefully selected, particularly if the children are small. Avoiding any kind of breakable material and choosing durable and materials good for rough use is a failsafe alternative. When it comes to soft furnishings like bedsheets, bedspreads, blankets etc, cottons and linens are a good idea instead of anything extravagant. Materials with textures and patterns will add an element of fun and interest and also help younger children understand and absorb different shapes and forms.
4. Based on Colour
Bright colours will always work well in children’s rooms. However, it is also important to ensure that they don’t get bored of the shade and also grow into their room. So colour combinations like bold and bright hues should ideally be used in moderation. All white, minimal rooms can also work, with the right accents of colour, which can be used on shelves or wardrobe surfaces or furniture upholstery.
Explore Different Types of Bedroom Designs:
Modern Bedroom Design | Master Bedroom Design | Small Bedroom Design | Simple Bedroom Design | Luxury Bedroom Interior Design