Contemporary Living Room Interior Design
A contemporary living room is often defined as one that is minimal and functional, with sleek clean lines and barely there accessories. However, there is more to the meaning than just this. Contemporary design refers to the here and now, the styles that are prevalent in homes in the current scenario. Therefore, traditional or classic design styles that would have dominated decades ago would also have been considered contemporary at the time.
Currently, the term contemporary refers to the present-day context of design, where more and more homeowners are appreciating a minimal palette. There is a preference to go easy on accessories and keep things simple. Today’s contemporary living room is thus a product of this design phenomenon—expressing luxury through a simpler, more elegant look. A contemporary room design aesthetic is all about innovating and adding one’s own personality and taste to the prevalent design styles.
Given that the idea of a contemporary living room is broad and considers the current design context, there is greater freedom to interior design that reflects this.
Essentials of a Contemporary Living Room
- Depending on the individual tastes of homeowners, a contemporary living room interior can allow for neutral colour schemes or darker tones. Muted colours simply offer more choice when it comes to choosing contemporary living room furniture and décor.
- Choosing furniture with clean lines is an important aspect of the contemporary living room design but that can be offset by smaller pieces that are more fluid and curved if they work well together. A straight-lined contemporary sofa for living room and a slightly rounded coffee table for instance might pair well.
- When it comes to flooring, anything that enhances the sense of lightness is a good idea, such as light-coloured wooden flooring or white tiles or natural stone that’s in a lighter hue.
- The contemporary living room light fixture should be a mix of recessed and cove lights, wall sconces and hanging lights. Opting for a touch of glamour in the form of metallic fixtures is also a good way to get a contemporary living room interior design.
- For the fabrics used for upholstery and soft furnishings, a mix of small patterns and geometric prints or stripes and solid colours will help achieve a balanced look.
All about Contemporary Living Room Interiors, Furniture, Décor and Colour Schemes
- A contemporary living room interior design can be a mix of different styles within a décor that is simple and elegant. Clean lines, less clutter, bold accents in the form of art or carefully chosen accessories can all work in harmony if they complement each other.
- Symmetric pieces with clean lines can be considered contemporary living room furniture. However, these can be paired with other pieces that are subtly rounded if they complement each other and the overall décor.
- A monochromatic palette is quite popular when selecting colours suited for a contemporary living room interior. It provides more opportunities to experiment with bold shades when it comes to soft furnishings or artworks.
- Contemporary colours do not necessarily mean only white, so homeowners planning a contemporary living room design should innovate with shades that work for them.However, it is never a good idea to have too many colours as that can be distracting.
Small Contemporary Living Room Ideas
- In a small living room, the contemporary aesthetic can come through in the right kind of furniture, such as a statement piece like a sofa, which can be the centrepiece of the contemporary room design.
- Other furniture should be reduced with only essential pieces. In this regard, multifunctional furniture plays a significant role, like a TV unit that also has shelf space.
- Another alternative is mounting a floating open shelf in an interesting, geometric shape along one wall, which can hold showpieces and books.
- For a compact contemporary living room design, neutral colour combinations can make the space appear bigger.
- Lighting fixtures in metal or glass can add in accents of style without overwhelming the space of your contemporary hall design.
- Accessories should be carefully thought out—smaller pieces would work better than larger ones. Alternatively, a couple of large pieces might work if used in a restrained manner.
Explore Different Types of Living Room Designs:
Modern Living Room | Indian Style Living Room Design | Small Living Room Design | Elegant Living room | Minimalist Living Room Design | Rustic Living Room | Industrial Living Room