Interior Design for the Small Living Room
Small modern living rooms are now a common and expected feature of homes in big cities where space is limited. However, size should not be an obstacle in ensuring that the compact living room is not elegant and well designed. As one of the public spaces in a house, the living room becomes the centre of attention and when one is dealing with a small space, it becomes even more important to ensure that the design and décor are done with the idea of making the room look bigger and more comfortable. The advantage of small spaces is that it is easier to make them cosy and welcoming. With the right design and a restrained hand, the small living room interior can also be elegant. The furniture, colour scheme and accessories, therefore, play an integral role in achieving the best-suited interior for a small drawing room.
Essentials of a Small Drawing Room Design
- Simplicity is important in a small living room space to give it a clean and clutter-free appearance.
- It is a good idea to avoid using any kind of bulky furniture pieces or décor accessories around the living room and keep the space free-flowing.
- Neutral or pale shades help enhance the clean, uncrowded look of a small living room and serve to open up the space.
- Combine smaller-sized decorative lights with recessed lighting in the ceiling. A flat and clean ceiling also helps enhance the space in a small room. Consider wall lights instead of table or floor lamps that take up too much space.
- Creating a harmonious look, where colours work well together and the furniture and other elements are properly arranged will lend elegance to the small living room interior.
- Use mirrors and reflective surfaces to give the illusion of space & make your small living room look spacious, and long curtains are a good idea as well. They give a sense of height.
Furniture and Colour in a Small Living Room Interior Design
- As far as possible, choose furniture pieces for small living room that are visually light, like chairs and sofas with thin legs for example. Bulky furniture will overwhelm a compact space.
- Select the furniture pieces wisely, preferably opting for multifunctional pieces to avoid putting in too much. Open shelving units that can be attached to walls for example are great for storage as well as a display spot for décor accessories.
- If rugs are to be incorporated, then choose larger ones instead of smaller ones. Contrary to popular belief, a large rug under the furniture helps give structure to a room, which adds to the clean and simple design aesthetic.
- Pale and neutral shades are the best way to ensure a small living room interior doesn’t look too dark. Off-whites, greys or pastels for soft furnishings and curtains are ideal.
- Ensuring that the colours work together is also important. A balanced and harmonious palette will help make the space look seamless and hence larger than it is. Check out these colour combinations for your living room.
Explore Different Types of Living Room Designs:
Modern Living Room | Indian Style Living Room Design | Rustic Living Room | Elegant Living room | Minimalist Living Room | Contemporary Living Room | Industrial Living Room