Space Saving Interior Design
Given the limitations on space availability particularly in apartments in big metros, space saving interior design plays a key role in creating visually appealing and functional spaces. The increasing number of such compact homes in cities has led to interior designers coming up with space saving ideas for small apartments to ensure that homeowners don't have to compromise on the interior design of their choice. Integral to space saving house design, apart from smart spatial planning, is the furniture that is chosen for such homes. Whether it is a living room design or a dining area, there are several space saving furniture design options that come with storage in different styles. This holds even for space saving kitchen designs.
Benefits of Space Saving House Design
- The most important and obvious advantage of space saving interior design is more floor space to move about.
- Space saving designs are geared towards creating clutter-free interiors, so such a space saving room design will also look more organised and neat
- Space saving interior design may also end up being cost-effective because homeowners will spend less on furniture, buy multifunctional pieces and will also use a lesser number of decor accessories.
- Space saving house design also leads to flexible use of the room. Since the furniture is minimal, the freed-up floor space can be rearranged and used as per the wishes of the homeowners.
Tips for Space Saving Interior Design
- When it comes to space saving house designs in small apartments, it is a good idea to go with an open layout. Minimal walls in a small space ensure there is more floor area that can be used.
- One of the more important space saving ideas for small apartments is to try and get in as much natural light as possible.
- Judicious use of mirrors and glossy reflective surfaces are key ideas to create tasteful space saving designs by creating the illusion of spacious interiors.
- The most important aspect of space saving house design is the furniture. This includes a diverse variety of pieces that are room specific. For example, a modern space saving dining table can be a light foldable one that is attached to a wall along one side.
- Space saving bedroom furniture is also a practical solution. A sofa-cum-bed is an example of such type of furniture. Another example of a space saving bed is the Murphy bed, which is attached to the bedroom wall and can also be folded.
- Wall storage, like floating shelves, make use of vertical wall space
- Space saving kitchen designs that are modular and hence customisable to fit small kitchen layouts, etc.
- Choosing light colours or whites and creams is a good idea.